"Citing the high quality of the workforce in Ontario, Toyota decided recently to build a second plant in the province even though Ontario was offering only about half the subsidy offered by Mississippi and Alabama to build the plant in one of those states. According to a July Canadian Press story, a Toyota spokesman said it had learned from Nissan and Honda, which had found the work force in the U.S. South to be often untrained and illiterate, and that, in Alabama, trainers had to use pictorials to teach some workers how to use the equipment."
I don't think they even approached Arkansas about this. Anyway, it's all self-perpetuating, and is why Arkansas, Alabama, and Mississippi remain the three crappiest states in the Union.
I'll post something more positive later on.
2 comments:
Ouch! You'd think that, with examples like this, the federal government would step in and try to improve the education in these states. I mean, it's not as if they benefit from the continued ignorance of the American public. I am shocked.
Utterly.
The thing about this is, if Toyota came and made jobs, the state would have more money for education, thus nullifying the issue raised by Nissan and Honda. The big problem with education in the states I mentioned is that there isn't enough money to fund the public schools. So if Toyota gives its jobs to Ontario, then they are merely assisting in perpetuating the problem. In most cases, education is a state-run thing, so it makes sense to bring revenue to the state.
Post a Comment